by Mathew Block | Sep 26, 2022
KENYA – The International Lutheran Council’s (ILC) 2022 World Conference came to a close the evening of September 16 with a service of Vespers, during which time the chairman, secretary, and other board members for the new triennium were installed.
Serving as liturgist for the service was ILC General Secretary Timothy Quill, with President Matthew Harrison of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) preaching. In his sermon, President Harrison—who also serves as an appointed member of the ILC’s board—pondered what it means to be worthy. Drawing on the words of St. Paul, he noted that overseers in the church are to be “above reproach.”
“Yet, I’m not,” President Harrison said simply. Addressing his fellow church presidents and bishops, he outlined the qualifications for overseers according to the scriptural witness, highlighting the many ways he—and, indeed, all leaders in the church—fail to fulfill their office as they ought.
“Are you worthy to stand before the throne of God?” he asked. “Be honest: you are condemned by the Law…. ‘Oh, wretched bishop that I am, who will rescue me from this body of death?’”
“It’s Jesus,” he said at last. “It’s Jesus, who is the Bishop. He is the one who fulfilled the office faithfully. He is the one who never fails those seeking His grace, His forgiveness, and His healing.”
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!” he proclaimed. “I tell you now, repent and believe the good news: ‘There is now no condemnation for those bishops who are in Jesus Christ!’ The blood of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, cleanses us from all our sins! All your shortcomings, all your weaknesses, all your failures are covered by the blood of the Lamb.”
The service concluded with the installation of the ILC’s newly elected and reelected board members for the new triennium. Bishop Hans-Jörg Voigt, outgoing Chairman of the ILC, conducted the installation. Installed to serve were:
- Chairman Juhana Pohjola (Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Mission Diocese of Finland)
- Secretary John Donkoh (President/Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ghana)
- Africa Representative Joseph Ochola Omolo (Archbishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Kenya)
- Asia Representative Antonio del Rio Reyes (President of the Lutheran Church in the Philippines)
- Europe Representative George Samiec (Chairman of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of England)
- Latin America Representative Alceu Alton Figur (President of the Lutheran Church of Paraguay)
- North America Representative Timothy Teuscher (President of Lutheran Church–Canada)